Monday, December 22, 2014
Every year, I make these meringue mushrooms from meringue powder to have them around for Christmas because they are so pretty and you can use them to decorate a Yule Log. But this year I found a very nice recipe with egg whites instead. I am quite happy with the results.
2 egg whites
1/2 cup of regular sugar
1/2 cup of icing sugar
1 tb of flour
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
2. Whip egg whites on high speed and star adding the granulated sugar in a steady stream.
3. When the meringue is stiff, add icing sugar and flour.
4. Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Using a big round tip, pipe stems and big polka dots for the tops. Dust the tops with cocoa powder.
5. Bake for about 2 hours with the oven door cracked open. (I use a wooden spoon to keep it open).
6. I glue them together with a dot of Royal Icing. They can be kept in an air tight container at room temperature for up to a month.